The Ramnath Goenka Foundation is inviting entries for the third annual Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards. India’s biggest media awards, with 23 categories and over Rs 25 lakh as prize money, has added one more category, Excellence in Civic Journalism, this year.
The awards will be for the following categories:
- Journalist of the Year (Print & TV),
- Reporting from J&K and the Northeast (Print & TV);
- Excellence in Journalism, Hindi (Print & Broadcast);
- Excellence in Journalism, Regional Languages (Print & Broadcast);
- Reporting on Environment (Print & Broadcast);
- Reporting India Invisible (Print & Broadcast);
- Foreign Correspondent Covering India ( Print, Radio or TV);
- Business and Economic Journalism (Print & Broadcast);
- Political Reporting (Print & TV);
- Sports Journalism (Print & TV);
- Film & TV Journalism (Print &TV);
- Books (Non-fiction);
- Reporting on HIV/AIDS (Print, English & Marathi); and Civic Reporting (Print).
The award for HIV/AIDS reporting is instituted in association with USAID, Avert Society and Health Communication Partnership/Johns Hopkins University (HCP/JHU). The two award winners, one each in English and Marathi, will be nominated to attend the three-week Leadership in Strategic Health Communication Workshop at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health/Centre for Communication Programs in Baltimore, USA, in June 2008.
The new award for civic reporting has been instituted in memory of the former Resident Editor of The Indian Express in Pune, Prakash Kardaley. This award will honour a print journalist whose sustained effort highlights a civic issue and forces the authorities to find a solution to it. Kardaley, who defined pro-active journalism in Pune, was also one of the prime movers behind the Right to Information Act.
The presenting sponsor of the RNG Awards for Excellence in Journalism this year will be S. Kumars Nationwide Limited. The last date for submission of entries is 15 April 2008. Reports published or telecast between 1 April 2006, and 31 December 2007, are eligible to be submitted for this year’s awards.