S. M. A. Kazmi, the Urdu and Persian language journalist arrested in March this year for his alleged involvement in the attack on the car of an Israeli embassy official in New Delhi in February, has been ordered by the Supreme Court of India to be released after seven long months in custody.
Not surprisingly, there is great cheer in the Kazmi family.
His son Turab, is quoted by the Hindustan Times as saying:
“The first call I made was to my mother who started crying over the phone when I gave her the good news. We are very happy because the truth is out and justice has been finally done. We want to thank the Almighty for giving us power to fight for injustice.”
Kazmi’s wife, Jahan Ara, is quoted by the Indian Express as saying:
“Ibadat mein hi time guzra hai in saat mahino mein. Humare liye aaj hi eid hai (These seven months have been spent in prayers. Today is Eid for us).”
However, behind the good news are signs of a sad and devious police plot.
Initially, many in the media merely doubted the police version of Kazmi’s alleged role in the attack. Now, it appears as if sections of the media are parroting the Delhi police version which doubts his very credentials as a journalist.
Kazmi read news for state-owned Doordarshan Urdu and did work for Radio Teheran and covered the Gulf War. But news reports carrying the SC order, citing the Delhi police, are revealing.
“Kazmi, who claims to have been writing for an Iranian publication, was picked up after a probe showed that he had been in touch with the suspect who is believed to have stuck the magnetic bomb on Israeli diplomat Tal Yehoshua’s car on February 13, according to the police.”
Hindustan Times correspondent:
“Kazmi, who claims to have been writing for an Iranian publication before his arrest in the case, was picked up after Delhi police investigation showed he had been in touch with the suspect who is believed to have stuck the magnetic bomb on Israeli diplomat Tal Yehoshua‘s car on February 13 this year, police said.”
The Indian Express quotes the court:
“The court said Kazmi, who claims to have been writing for an Iranian publication, has acquired his statutory right to bail on July 17.”
Thankfully, The Times of India bucks the trend:
“The Supreme Court on Friday granted bail to Syed Mohammad Ahmed Kazmi, a journalist who has been behind bars since March 6 in the Israeli diplomat car attack case.”
Image: courtesy Hindustan Times
Also read: Let the record show, Kazmi is not forgotten
External reading: Eid comes early for Kazmi family: The Indian Express